Accessibility links

Language selection

Common housing register

Bridgend County Borough’s four main housing associations use one housing register to allocate social housing. This register is called the Bridgend Common Housing Register.

We also have a policy called the Social Housing Allocation Policy which explains how social rented housing is allocated.

Applying to be on the common housing register

To apply to be on the housing register, you will need to be interviewed either in person or over the phone.

Anyone can apply for social rented housing, but you must be in housing need to be added to the register. There are details of what counts as housing need in the Social Housing Allocation Policy, on pages six and seven.

If you don't get added to the common housing register we will give you advice about what other housing options might be available to you.


Bridgend County Borough Council
Telephone: 01656 643643
Text relay: 18001 01656 643643
Address: Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend, CF31 4WB.

Waiting times

People are often surprised at how few properties housing associations have available to let, and how long the waiting list is. If you are interested in social housing, you can use the waiting time calculator to find out how long it may take.

The waiting time calculator can tell you:

  • where the housing association properties are
  • the number of properties allocated in areas of the county borough
  • the number of people waiting to be housed in that area
  • an estimated waiting time

Unfortunately we are unable to offer everyone a home through the common housing register. There is a shortage of social housing and we must allocate them according to need.

Other options

There are many other options if you are looking for affordable housing. You could try:

  • renting in the private sector
  • affordable homes for sale
  • if you are already a council or housing association tenant, you can swap your home
  • looking in other areas

Swapping your home

If you are a current council or housing association tenant and you would like to move, you can apply for a transfer or a mutual exchange.

Bridgend County Borough Council uses the national mutual exchange service provided by Homeswapper. You can find out more on the Homeswapper website.

Housing associations in Bridgend County Borough

A to Z Search