Predeposit proposals consultation
The council has approved for consultation the Bridgend LDP predeposit proposals which outline the vision, objectives and preferred strategy for the plan, illustrated though the strategic diagram and implemented through strategic policies. This consultation took place between 12 February and 31 March 2009.
The predeposit proposals have also been subject of an independent Initial Sustainability Appraisal (SA) (which incorporates the Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA)) and have been screened for a Habitats Regulations Assessment (HRA).
The Bridgend Local Development Plan predeposit proposals sets out a vision for the LDP which states:
By 2021, Bridgend County Borough will be transformed to become a sustainable, safe, healthy and inclusive network of communities comprising strong, interdependent and connected settlements with improved quality of life and opportunities for all people living, working, visiting and relaxing in the area.
The catalysts for this transformation will be:
- a successful regional employment, commercial and service centre in Bridgend
- a vibrant waterfront and tourist destination in Porthcawl
- a revitalised Maesteg and
- thriving Valley communities
The predeposit proposals are based around the following four themes:
- to produce high quality sustainable places
- to protect and enhance the environment
- to spread prosperity and opportunity through regeneration
- to create safe, healthy and inclusive communities
The successful delivery of the LDP Strategy relies on three elements:
- the implementation of four key strategic regeneration growth areas
- the development of four strategic employment sites
- the delivery of other targeted regeneration projects
As well as being available online, the full documentation was available at the following locations:
- at your local library
- at the council’s Customer Service Centre in the Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend
Now the consultation period has ended, all comments will be presented to Bridgend County Borough Council and any appropriate changes will be made to the preferred LDP strategy which will then be incorporated into the Deposit Bridgend Local Development Plan. This will then be the subject of further public consultation in 2010.