Support for Ukrainian refugees
Bridgend County Borough are supporting Welsh Government in becoming a ‘super sponsor’ in the UK-wide ‘Homes for Ukraine’ scheme.
The Scheme requires individual households to match with a Ukrainian family, in order for visas to be granted. There is no cap on the number of visas that can be granted through the scheme.
Russia's invasion of Ukraine has caused thousands to flee their homes. We stand in support of the Ukrainian people who are bravely resisting this unprovoked and brutal act of war.
We understand that many people in Wales will want to do all they can to help them in their hour of need.
In Bridgend there are, as of 26th July 2022:
- 76 unique Homes for Ukraine sponsor households.
- 155 Ukrainian visa applications approved.
- A further 52 visa applications awaiting approval from the Home Office.
- 129 Ukrainian individuals already arrived in the borough.
In addition Bridgend County Borough Council:
- Have made 14 accommodation offers for move on from Welsh Government Welcome Centres. These are additional sponsors who have been identified.
- Are processing safeguarding checks on a further 16 sponsor households for move on from Welsh Government Welcome Centres.
A range of advice and guidance is provided to both sponsors and Ukrainian individuals who arrive.