Accessibility links

Language selection

Register to vote

The deadline for voter registration during an election is 12 working days before polling day.


Details needed to register to vote

For voter registration or to change your details, you will need your:

  • name and address
  • national insurance number
  • date of birth

If your application is successful, the election office will send a confirmation letter. However, if your details do not match with those held by the Department of Work and Pensions, your application may be rejected. We may contact you in writing to ask for more information.

Other electors

If you are a UK citizen living abroad, you can apply to be an overseas voter if:

  • you have been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years
  • when leaving the UK you were too young to register, and your parents/guardians were registered, as long as you left fewer than 15 years ago

Registration as an overseas voter will only last for twelve months. Applications must be made annually, and you can choose your method of voting depending on your personal circumstances. Overseas voters can only vote in the UK Parliamentary elections.

Armed forces members and their spouses or civil partners can register either as a service voter, or as an ordinary voter.
The way you choose to register is up to you and will depend on your personal circumstances. See more information for armed forces personnel.

You can register as a crown servant or British Council employee if you are not a member of the armed forces but you are:

  • employed by the Crown or British Council in a post outside the UK
  • a spouse living abroad with a Crown or British Council employee

This type of declaration must be renewed annually.
Download the form to register as a crown servant or British Council employee.

You can still register to vote if you have no fixed address because you are:

  • a patient in a mental health hospital
  • homeless
  • a person remanded in custody

To do so, fill in an electoral registration form for someone with no fixed or permanent address.

You can register to vote anonymously for safety reasons. For instance, you may be escaping violence, or have a job that puts you at risk from other people.
If you register anonymously, a code will be added to the electoral register instead of your name and address.
To register for anonymous voting, you must support your application with documentary evidence of a court order or an attestation from an authorised person.
Download a registration form for anonymous voting.


Differences between the electoral and open register

The electoral register ensures only eligible people can vote. It lists the names and addresses of all voters. Also, it can be used for authorised reasons such as detecting crimes like fraud, recruiting jurors, and checking credit applications.

The open or edited register is an extract of the electoral register. It is not used for elections, but can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, businesses use it to confirm names and addresses. Your name and address will be included unless you ask for their removal. Removing your details does not stop you from voting.


Join or leave the open register

You can change your preferences at any time. To do so, please complete the Open Register Form, and send it to


Annual electoral registration e-canvass

Each year, we ask households to confirm their electoral details. If you have already given your email address, we will email you through our software supplier ‘Halarose’. The message will go out in early July. To ensure that you can still vote, follow the email’s instructions before the deadline.

A to Z Search