Improved GCSE results for Bridgend County Borough
Posted on: Friday 24 August 2018
This year’s GCSE exam results have revealed that 94.7 per cent of all pupils in Bridgend County Borough have achieved at least five passes each, with 70.6 per cent gaining five or more grades at A*-C.
This is the second year of reporting the newly developed GCSE format and Bridgend County Borough has made a clear improvement on last year’s figures.
Local students’ performance compares favourably with performance across Wales – where Bridgend County Borough was slightly below the all-Wales figures last year, this year’s performance is now above the national average.
Councillor Charles Smith, Cabinet Member for Education and Regeneration, said: “I am delighted to see this improvement in the outcomes for local schoolchildren and I want to congratulate all pupils for their hard work and achievements.
“It is wonderful to hear the success stories of so many in all our schools, and I would like to thank all teaching and support staff for their exceptional dedication to our young people’s academic and social development.”
GCSE results day marks the culmination of a lot of hard work and sleepless nights! Some pupils will be celebrating a string of A stars while others have studied extremely hard to get the grades that they needed to get to where they want to go next, whether it be further education, training or employment. They all deserve to be congratulated for their individual successes.
As always there is a wide range of advice and support available for those who may not have got the results they were hoping for, so make sure you speak to your school, college or Careers Wales for more information.Council Leader Councillor Huw David
Notable achievements in Bridgend County Borough schools include:
- 28.5% of children in Archbishop McGrath Catholic High School achieved 5 A*-A grades.
- 72% of Cynffig Comprehensive School children picked up 5 A*-C grades.
- 23% of children from YGG Llangynwyd achieved five A*-A grades.
- 71.8% of Maesteg School children achieved 5 A*-C grades.
- 88.8% of children in Porthcawl Comprehensive School gained 5 A*-C grades with 35.8% achieving five A*-A grades.
- 88.9% of children at The Bridge Alternative Provision achieved 5 A*-G grades, with a quarter of those children achieving 5 A*-C grades.
- 54.5% of pupils at Pencoed Comprehensive School gained five or more A* to C grades including Maths and English.