Accessibility links

Language selection

Getting married

Notice of marriage

Unless you are marrying in the Church of England or Church in Wales by banns or common licence, you will both need to give notice to the superintendent registrar at your local register office.

You must both have lived in the registration district in England or Wales for at least seven days before giving notice at the register office. If you both live within the same district, you will need to give notice at the same office. However, if you live in different registration districts you will have to give notice separately in your own areas.

When to give notice of a marriage

A notice of marriage is valid for 12 months. This means that you can’t give notice of marriage more than 12 months before the date of your wedding. You can only give notice of marriage if you have made an appointment.

After giving notice, you must wait at least 28 clear days before the marriage. You must also both have marriage authorisation from the superintendent registrar issued on or before the day of marriage.

For further information on getting married in England and Wales, go to the General Register Office.

Marriage costs

Getting married in a church or religious building

There may be a variable fee for getting married in a religious building such as a church. Ask the minister of the building you choose to get married in for more details.

If you get married in a church that is Church in Wales or Church of England you will not usually have to involve the register office. Check with the minister at the church to see if this is the case.

Marriage venues in Bridgend County Borough

The following are venues that have been approved for civil marriages within Bridgend County Borough:


The Garden Room

Telephone: 01656 642391
Address: Ty'r Ardd, Sunnyside, Bridgend, CF31 4AR.

For information about venues in other areas, please visit:

Changing the marriage venue

A notice of marriage is only valid for the venue on that notice. It may be possible to alter the date of your marriage provided it is before the expiry date, but if you change the venue you will need to give notice and pay the fee again.

Getting married abroad

You will need to check that any marriage carried out in a foreign country will still be recognised in the UK. Contact Bridgend Register Office for more details.


Register Office

Telephone: 01656 642391
Address: Ty'r Ardd, Sunnyside, Bridgend, CF31 4AR.

Documents you will need to bring

By law, you will need to confirm your name, age, marital status and nationality before you can get registered for marriage. To do this you should bring along the following:

  • a current valid full passport or birth certificate - if you were born after 1 January 1983 it must be a full birth certificate showing your parents' details plus your mother's birth certificate or passport
  • a bank statement dated within one month, utility bill dated within 3 months, council tax bill for the current year or a valid driving licence showing current address

If one of you has been widowed, you will need to bring the death certificate of your former spouse. If divorced, you should bring a decree absolute bearing the court’s original stamp.

If you have changed name, please bring your deed poll documents.

If you are under 18 years old you will need a completed parental consent form.

A superintendent registrar will carry out your marriage service.

Changing your name and address

If you are changing your name or address, remember to contact not just your family and friends, but your local council, water, gas and electricity firms, banks, the passport office, DVLA, doctors, dentists, financial firms that you have any business with, catalogue companies, national insurance and so on.


Bridgend Register Office

Telephone: 01656 642391
Address: Tŷ'r Ardd, Sunnyside, Bridgend, CF31 4AR.
Opening hours:
Monday to Friday
9.30am to 4pm

A to Z Search