Accessibility links

Listen with Browsealoud
Language selection

Personal licence

Apply for a personal licence

To apply for a personal licence, applicants should apply to the local authority where they ordinarily live and:

  1. Submit an application form for a personal licence, with a disclosure of convictions and declaration.

2. Submit an original approved licensing qualification certificate. See the Home Office’s website for further information on the relevant licencing qualification.

3. Submit two photographs of the applicant. One must be endorsed by a solicitor, notary, person of standing in the community or professionally qualified person with a statement verifying its true likeness.

4. Provide a basic disclosure criminal conviction certificate

5. Pay the appropriate fee.

When a personal licence is needed

A personal licence lets a person sell alcohol or approve its sale under the authority of a premises licence. A person named on premises licence as a Designated Premises Supervisor must have a personal licence.

Conditions for a personal licence

Applicants meeting the relevant criteria can get licences under the Council’s Scheme of Delegation. However with applicants convicted of ‘relevant’ offences, the Chief Officer of Police may consider their application would undermine crime prevention. Then, the application may be placed for consideration by the Council’s Licensing Sub-Committee.

Get a replacement personal licence

Use the ‘request for replacement personal licence’ form to tell us about a change of name or address. Also use it to report a lost or damaged licence.

Guidance for personal licences

View the government’s guidance on alcohol licencing.

A to Z Search