Accessibility links

Listen with Browsealoud
Language selection

Pet shop licence

To sell pet animals, you need a local authority licence. This covers all commercial sales of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet.

Applicants must not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop.

A fee determined by the local authority will be payable.

When considering applications, local authorities must consider if:

  • animals will have proper accommodation, regarding temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness etc.
  • adequate food and drink will be given and animals will be visited at suitable intervals
  • any mammals will be sold too young
  • steps will be taken to prevent disease spreading among animals
  • there are adequate fire and emergency plans

Conditions can be attached to a licence to ensure that the above are complied with.

It is in the public interest that authorities process applications before granting them. If you have not heard from the relevant authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes Service, or use the contact details below.

In the first instance, please contact your local authority:


Bridgend County Borough Council
Licensing Section
Civic Offices
Angel Street
CF31 4WB

Any person refused a licence can appeal to the magistrates court, or, in Scotland, the Sheriff covering the premises’ location. A court or Sheriff may give directions on issuing a licence.

When complaining, make the first contact with the trader yourself, and preferably by letter with proof of delivery. If that does not work and you are in the UK, Citizens’ Advice Consumer Helpline can help. Outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.


There is no other redress available.

A to Z Search