Accessibility links

Listen with Browsealoud
Language selection

Services for people with sensory loss

Our Sensory Support Service has specialist workers to support people with a sensory loss. This service is available for people who may:

  • be deaf, which includes people who are culturally Deaf and who generally use British Sign Language (BSL) as their first language
  • be hard of hearing, which includes people who have an acquired hearing loss and generally use speech as their main form of communication
  • have varying degrees of visual loss whether blind, partially sighted or losing their sight
  • have a dual sensory loss, also known as deafblind

Someone is regarded as deafblind if their combined sight and hearing loss causes problems with communication, access to information and mobility.

The Sensory Support Service offers a range of information, advice and practical support. You can be referred for sensory support by an audiologist, ophthalmologist, optician, or GP. Alternatively, you can get more information and refer yourself or someone you are concerned about by contacting Bridgend’s Common Access Point (CAP) below:


Common Access Point (Sensory Services)

Bridgend County Borough Council
Telephone: 01656 642279
Address: Trem Y Mor, Bettws Road, Bettws, Bridgend, CF32 8UN.

Mobile Text: Text ABC followed by 07976322473
Fax: 01656 642300. Please write ‘Social Work Support/Referral’ on the fax heading.

Emergency contact information

These details are only to be used in the most serious emergency and out of office hours.

The Emergency Duty Team

Telephone: 01443 849944

Fax: 01443 849955.

Further information

For further information including referrals for children, please download the sensory services factsheet.

A to Z Search